Thursday 17 November 2016

10 Things Writing Has Taught Me



1. Good writing takes practice.

No one ever sat down at a piano and played a concerto without a lesson. Writing is a craft that deserves an investment of your time.

2. Being hopeful is just as important as being persistant.

Writers are inherently hopeful, otherwise no one would ever start a story.

3. Bad writing is better than no writing.

I can't edit a blank page.

4. Don't write to sell books, write to share stories.

Authenticity cannot be faked. If I don't care about my characters the readers won't either.

5. There are always ways to improve your writing, but don't let all 'the rules' keep you from finding your style.

I keep my inner editor turned off until I've finished the story.

6. There is a difference between dreams and goals.

Success is reaching goals, but my dreams are the fuel that help me reach my goals.

7. There is no limit to where my stories can take me.

Imagination affords me the luxury of taking vacations anywhere, anytime. 

8. My characters are depending on me.

Truly, as the author, I am the only one who can tell their story.

9. Writing requires patience and willingness to leave my comfort zone. 

I write more fluidly when I write without fear.

10. You're never too old to try something new.

I didn't start writing until my mid-thirties.


What has writing taught you?


1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Writing has taught me to be patient.

Yes, good writing takes practice. One has to be willing to keep working at it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...